The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to global understudies who wish to learn at Japanese colleges as Undergraduate Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program.
Japanese Government Scholarship point is to cultivate HR who will progress toward becoming extensions of fellowship between your nation and Japan through investigation in Japan and who will add to the advancement of the two nations and the more extensive world.
Candidates should either have finished 12 years of general school training or have moved on from a school comparable to an upper auxiliary school in Japan.
- Application Deadline: The deadline of the applications differs according to the country. Please contact with Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing an undergraduate degree at Japanese universities.
- Study Subject: Those who wish to study in Japan as an undergraduate student must choose a field of study (major) from (1) or (2) below. Applicants may enter a first, second, and third choice
- Social Sciences and Humanities Social Sciences and Humanities-A: 1. Law, 2. Politics, 3. Pedagogy, 4. Sociology, 5. Literature, 6. History, 7. Japanese language, 8. others. Social Sciences and Humanities-B: 1. Economics, 2. Business Administration. Note 1: Applicants who wish to major in fields other than those listed above (“others”) may have difficulties in finding universities that can accept them. Note 2: Any fields related to “Economics” and “Business Administration” in Humanities B are not included in “others.”
- Natural Science s-A: Science (1. Mathematics, 2. Physics, 3. Chemistry), Electric and Electronic Studies (4. Electronics, 5. Electrical Engineering, 6. Information Engineering), Mechanical Studies (7. Mechanical Engineering, 8. Naval Architecture), Civil Engineering and Architecture (9. Civil Engineering, 10. Architecture, 11. Environmental Engineering), Chemical Studies (12. Applied Chemistry, 13. Chemical Engineering, 14. Industrial Chemistry, 15. Textile Engineering), other fields (16. Metallurgical Engineering, 17. Mining Engineering, 18. Maritime Engineering, 19. Biotechnology). Natural Sciences -B: Agricultural studies (1. Agriculture, 2. Agricultural Chemistry, 3. Agricultural Engineering, 4. Animal Science, 5. Veterinary Medicine, 6. Forestry, 7. Food Science, 8. Fisheries), Hygienic studies (9. Pharmacy, 10. Hygienics, 11. Nursing), and Science (12. Biology). Natural Science s-C: 1. Medicine, and 2. Dentistry
- Note: A student who intends to major in Natural Sciences and would like to choose more than one major is required to choose and select first-, second-, and third-choice subjects from the subjects in parentheses from within the same course (i.e. Natural Sciences A, B or C). However, a student who selects Course C as his/her first choice may choose his/her second-choice subjects from Course B or C and thirdchoice subject from Course B as Course C offers only two subjects.
- Scholarship Award: Scholarship includes:
- Allowance: 117,000 yen per month. The scholarship is cancelled in principle if the recipient is absent from the university or preparatory Japanese-teaching institution for an extended period. In case that the recipient research in a designated region, 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month will be added. The monetary amount each year may be subject to change due to budgetary reasons. The scholarship will be also cancelled in principle in the following situations. If the recipient has been receiving the scholarship despite his/her falling under any of the following situations, the recipient will be ordered to return the amount of scholarship that he/she received during the period wherein he/she was involved with any of the following situations: The recipient is determined to have made a false statement on his/her application; The recipient violates any article of his/her pledge to MEXT; The recipient violates any Japanese laws and is sentenced to imprisonment with or without work for life or for a period of exceeding 1 year; The recipient is subject to disciplinary action by the university, including expulsion(The scholarship payment may be stopped during the period up until punishment is decided by the university, etc.); It has been determined that it will be impossible for the recipient to complete the course within the standard course period because of poor academic grades or suspension or leave of absence; The recipient’s residence status has changed to one other than “College Student”? The recipient has received a scholarship from another institution (excluding those specified for research expenditures); The recipient has proceeded to a higher level of education without receiving approval for an extension of the period of the scholarship.
- Tuition and Other Fees: Fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition at universities will be paid by MEXT.
- Travelling CostsTransportation to Japan: In principle, MEXT stipulates the travel schedule and route, and provides an economy-class airline ticket for the flight from the international airport closest to the recipient’s residence (in principle, the country of nationality) to Narita International Airport or to any other international airport on the normal route to the accepting university. The grantee shall bear at his/her own expense all costs related to domestic travel from the grantee’s residence to the nearest international airport, airport taxes, airport usage fees, special taxes necessary for travel, travel expenses within Japan (including airline transit costs), travel insurance expenses, etc. The grantee shall also bear at his/her own expense travel and lodging costs incurred in a third country if the grantee must travel to a third country before coming to Japan for visa purposes because there are no Japanese diplomatic missions in his/her country. In principle, MEXT will not provide the airline ticket in cases when the grantee arrives in Japan from a country other than the country of nationality because the grantee had moved to the country before the arrival in Japan. Transportation from Japan: Grantees shall graduate the accepting university and return to the home country by the end of the final month of the period of scholarship (Section 4 above) designated by MEXT. Based on the Application by the grantee, MEXT, in principle, shall provide an economy-class airline ticket from Narita International Airport or the international airport used for the normal route to and from the accepting university to the international airport (in principle, in the country of nationality) nearest to the returning recipient’s residence. The grantee shall bear at his/her own expense all costs related to travel from the grantee’s residence to the nearest international airport, airport taxes, airport usage fees, special taxes necessary for travel, travel expenses within the country of nationality (including airline transit costs), travel insurance expenses, etc.
- Note 1: Should the grantee return to the home country before the end of the period of scholarship due to personal circumstances, or reasons 8. (1) ?~? above, MEXT will not pay for the return travel expenses
- Note 2: If a grantee continues to stay in Japan after the scholarship period has ended, he/she will not be paid travel expenses to return to the home country for a temporary return.
- Number of Scholarships: Not given
- Nationality: International
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Students who have the nationality of a country which has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government can apply for this scholarship.
List of Countries: (Asia-Pacific: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Kiribati, Republic of Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam. North America: Canada and United States of America. Latin America and the Caribbean: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentine, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Commonwealth of Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela. Europe: Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Republic of Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan and Vatican. Middle East: Afghanistan, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen and Palestinian Authority. Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Chad, Comoros, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabonese Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Zambia, Uganda and Zimbabwe)Passage Requirements: The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is presently tolerating applications from abroad understudies for consider in Japan. The point is to cultivate HR who will progress toward becoming scaffolds of fellowship between their nation and Japan through investigation in Japan and who will add to the advancement of the two nations and the more extensive world.
Nationality: Applicants must have the nationality of a nation that has conciliatory relations with Japan. A candidate who has Japanese nationality at the season of utilization isn’t qualified. Notwithstanding, people with double nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of habitation at the season of use is outside of Japan are qualified to apply as long as they pick the nationality of the remote nation and surrender their Japanese nationality by the date of their landing in Japan. Candidate screening will be led at the Japanese discretionary mission in the candidate’s nation.
Scholastic Background: Applicants should either have finished 12 years of general school training or have moved on from a school comparable to an upper auxiliary school in Japan. (Candidates who will meet the above capabilities by March 2018 are qualified. Incorporates those wishing to enlist for coordinate position in the fall term who are relied upon to graduate before the finish of August 2017.) Applicants who fulfill the passage necessities for a Japanese university are additionally qualified. (4) Japanese Language: Applicants must will to learn Japanese. Candidates must be keen on Japan and extend their comprehension of Japan subsequent to landing in Japan. What’s more, on a basic level, candidates must will to complete their scholastic examinations in Japan in Japanese.
Wellbeing: Applicants must be free from any psychological or physical inabilities that would block the quest for learn at Japanese colleges.
Entry in Japan: on a basic level, candidates must have the capacity to touch base in Japan between the first and ?th of April 2017. On the off chance that a candidate is to enlist in his/her university from the fall semester through direct arrangement, he or she should have the capacity to leave for and land in Japan by the date determined by the tolerant university.
Visa Requirement: Applicants must procure College Student (ryugaku) visas before entering Japan. They at that point enter Japan with the College Student (ryugaku) living arrangement status. It would be ideal if you additionally take note of that the individuals who change their visa status to one other than College Student after landing in Japan will lose their capability to be Japanese Government Scholarship beneficiaries from the date when their visa status changes.
Others: While the candidate is considering in Japan, he/she should add to common comprehension amongst Japan and the nation of origin by taking an interest in exercises at schools and groups with the point of adding to the internationalization of Japan. The candidate might endeavor endeavors to advance relations between the nation of origin and Japan by keeping up close relations with the university went to after graduation, coordinating with the leading of reviews and surveys after the arrival home, and collaborating with every single important undertaking and occasions led by Japanese strategic missions in the candidate’s nation of origin.
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the nation of origin will regularly need to meet particular English dialect/other dialect prerequisites keeping in mind the end goal to have the capacity to ponder there.
The most effective method to Apply: Applicants should submit:
Application Form (a recommended frame)
Position Preference Form
Scholarly transcript for as long as 3 years
Graduation endorsement from the last school went to (or authentication of expected graduation for a candidate because of graduate) transcript issued either by alma ace or by candidates’ national government
Proposal from the chief or the counselor of the last school went to
Endorsement of enlistment (for a candidate presently selected in a university) if relevant
Declaration of section of university entrance capability examination (if appropriate)